Compass
Read Print Edition
Showing comments 1 to 10 of 3790
Michael Davis
Dart plans second hotel on Seven Mile Beach
Posted by Michael Davis on 10/24/2014 12:47:33 PM

> Click here to view the story related to this comment

@Joseph, Nope that doesn't make you a Green Eyed Hater. You voiced your opinion and mentioned your preference of places to live. I happen to share your feelings on liking to visit Camana Bay, but I'd also say it probably wouldn't be my personal choice of places to live simple because I like it more secluded. I also agree that not everyone would like it, to each his own. As far as being a hater, I didn't see any of your comments refer to Dart as the devil coming to destroy Cayman or accuse them of stealing the country from the Caymanian people. Those are the types of thing haters say..
Agree agree ( 2 )
Disagree disagree ( 0 )
Norman Linton
Prescription for a healthier Cayman: More competition
Posted by Norman Linton on 10/24/2014 12:25:06 PM

> Click here to view the story related to this comment

Bearing in mind that people are being sent FROM the USA to the Shetty Hospital I would think it would be a no-brainer to assume they will be less expensive.

Especially if you add in the cost of air travel.
Agree agree ( 0 )
Disagree disagree ( 0 )
Norman Linton
Dart plans second hotel on Seven Mile Beach
Posted by Norman Linton on 10/24/2014 12:21:08 PM

> Click here to view the story related to this comment

I agree with both Joseph King and Twyla.

It is true that this islands has lost of lot of its Caribbean charm since I moved here 32 years ago.

Many of these hotels and restaurants would be more at home in Miami or New York.

On the other hand if there was not a demand for these developments they would not exist.

It is certainly nice to have a clean modern movie theater for example.
Agree agree ( 1 )
Disagree disagree ( 0 )
Ricardo Tatum
Work permit reform under way
Posted by Ricardo Tatum on 10/24/2014 12:01:41 PM

> Click here to view the story related to this comment

I expect a host of thumbs-down for the comments I'm about to make but, here goes...

This revolutionisation (reform is too limited a term, imo)of the labour system in Cayman will be a major game changer and will probably have this current CI Govt. going down in history as the one which has done the most to help the majority of its people at a time when they need that help the most.

The suggestion of moving the work-permit system to the labour authorities is not a new one; under my former pen name, I made this suggestion sometime back in 2011/2012 when the issue of wps was a hot one on the forum.

This change, if it does go through, will not be without its hitches and problems but it is very clear to all and sundry how corrupt and unworkable the current system is.

You CANNOT have 2000 of your own nationals, including qualified, experienced professionals, out of work and their positions held by 20,000 or more foreigners on wps, in your country; that is a total travesty of universal justice.

Any fair and workable system should be ensuring that EVERY Caymanian who is qualified, seeking and willing to work be given FIRST preference for any positions that exist within their country, all other things being taken into account.

That there has been manipulation of the current system is glaringly evident, with any and many ways used to undermine the system and offer any petty excuses for not hiring Caymanians.

The few bad apples DO NOT define the Caymanian people and work-force as a whole.

There has been too much emphasis placed on the money-earning aspects of the current system, with govt. permits now required for jobs such as taxi/tour-bus driving and security, which are usually considered to held by work-permit foreigners or non-Caymanian residents.

The restrictions on not being able to work for more than one company which is in the laws/regulations of these industries was always meant to stop wp holders from switching companies.

They are now restricting Caymanians' freedom of labour in their own country, a direct violation of their European Union human rights and I am personally shocked that no has brought this to the attention of the CI Govt.; it will not be long in coming though, that much I can guarantee.

It is evident from the recent comments made by Premiere Alden McLaughlin and the Director of Prisons, that the authorities are looking heavily at the crime rate and rates of recidivism and seeing the clear connection to unemployment; that is not rocket-science and should take no mental genius to figure out.

However, the real issue is not finding jobs for ex-cons...it is making sure that every Caymanian has a right to advance and prosper in their own country.

Whoever else that is needed to work in Cayman can gladly and happily be granted their wp and work, AFTER our needs are met.

Linking the labour and wp system is the only way to ensure that this becomes the case.

I, for one, fully support the idea and hope that it becomes the law.
Agree agree ( 1 )
Disagree disagree ( 8 )
Bob Corruthers
Work permit reform under way
Posted by Bob Corruthers on 10/24/2014 11:45:34 AM

> Click here to view the story related to this comment

It never hurts to have independent review. Every government in the world does it as well as every big business. The review is only to provide advice on efficiency and can be rejected if it is felt that changes will over reaching public policy effects. Our government offices need revamping to solve the countries greater financial problems. Our offices need to be run better. Government always has and always will have the final say on matters of public policy, but there is no shame in seeking external professional advice. It is prudent to do so, even if the advice is ultimately rejected.
Agree agree ( 1 )
Disagree disagree ( 7 )
Joseph King
Dart plans second hotel on Seven Mile Beach
Posted by Joseph King on 10/24/2014 11:44:50 AM

> Click here to view the story related to this comment

With all due respect to Ms Vargas and Mr Davis the development Dart embarks on is of a high standard, just that it is done to his taste which might not gel with everyone's view of how they see Cayman. Not everyone likes the planned, co-ordinated look of large scale Dart projects which turn the place into high end mall, Miami style developments. I like Camana bay to visit but I wouldn't choose to live there, and as long as I have a choice that's fine. Does that make me a 'green eyed hater'?
Agree agree ( 11 )
Disagree disagree ( 3 )
Michael Davis
Work permit reform under way
Posted by Michael Davis on 10/24/2014 10:21:18 AM

> Click here to view the story related to this comment

There certainly seem to be a lot of consultants doing all the thinking that these highly paid and supposedly highly intelligent politicians are supposed to be doing. I mean why put someone in charge of things they lack the knowledge to manage and have to go out to hire someone to do the job they are being paid to do. For instance the Dump, you have someone who was put in charge of it and immediately made a fundamental decision to blow off the offer from Dart to Cap it and build a new waste management facility at no cost to the public purse and who stated that they already had a solution for it. Yet his next step was to form a committee to figure out what to do with it and their next step was to hire someone who's capable of coming up with a solution. To me this is just senseless and reeks of people who have no idea what they are doing.

This whole thing with Work Permit reform and the hiring of more consultants is just another example of what seems like a government full of leaders that aren't qualified, have no ideas of their own and are incapable of making the right decisions on their own.

It would seem sensible to me that the people campaigning for jobs such as the Minister of finance, minister of education or even minister of the environment would be people who are qualified to carry out these roles, not people who who were placed in these jobs out of appreciate for political party loyalty. These people should get these roles based on their qualifications not their cronyism.
Agree agree ( 12 )
Disagree disagree ( 1 )
roger mcalter
Work permit reform under way
Posted by roger mcalter on 10/24/2014 9:58:01 AM

> Click here to view the story related to this comment

Mack, I am as confused as you are. They are being paid to make this analysiz, and make a decisions. They are not being paid so that they can hire someone to make the analysiz while they sit on a chair and say yes go ahead. The reality is, if the recommendations fails, they have someone to blame with. They will say well Deloyte was the one who thought of it, not me!
Agree agree ( 18 )
Disagree disagree ( 6 )
Michael Davis
Dart plans second hotel on Seven Mile Beach
Posted by Michael Davis on 10/24/2014 9:35:03 AM

> Click here to view the story related to this comment

This is great news and I completely agree with Twyla on this. I have a saying the I use whenever I hear of them working on something new. 'DART DOES'. A lot of people complain about Dart saying they're destroying the island and they own to much as if they are out to hurt Cayman. ( Green Eyed Haters ) I on the other hand think that they have to consider what the best interests of Cayman are because they have way more invested into it and have way more to lose than anyone else if things fall apart. Their projects are always high quality and done to enhance the environment and as Twyla stated they stand behind their word, you can't even say that about the CIG which is why I was hoping the Dart dealt with the dump. I especially appreciate his use of native plant species.

Their long term plans do have the potential to make Camana Bay the most livable community in the Caribbean if it's not already and Cayman can only benefit from that. Plenty of people are saying that the Caymanian People are not benefiting from it, but in my opinion the smart thrifty ones are and will as the Cayman Island Product gets stronger. Now if only the issues with Crime and Good Governance along with the islands economy can be ironed out and we can get the IronWood Project off the ground the Cayman Island Product would really be on top of it's game.

My own little investment in Cayman pales in comparison to projects like Camana Bay as well as Ironwood. But I have to say seeing that someone like Dart and Ironwood folks are willing to invest so much into the Cayman Island Product and have that kind of faith in its success does give me a since of comfort that I haven't made a mistake sinking my money into it..

Keep up the good work, I'll say it again ( DART DOES )
Agree agree ( 41 )
Disagree disagree ( 8 )
Twyla Vargas
Bush lawyer named among top earners
Posted by Twyla Vargas on 10/24/2014 9:23:18 AM

> Click here to view the story related to this comment

One thing I know for sure, he deserved and worked hard for every penny he made in the Bush Case. He was a movie star in the eyes of the Cayman people. Dynamic in all aspects and powerful in speech keeping the gallery breathless with his powerful voice and knowledge of the Law.
I could sit and listen to this man defend a case every day of the month. He is GOOD. and handsome too.
Agree agree ( 5 )
Disagree disagree ( 16 )
Showing comments 1 to 10 of 3790

Copyright © 2014 Pinnacle Media Group Ltd. All Rights Reserved.