Cayman Free Press Ethics Policies:
- WE ARE COMMITTED TO:
- Seeking the truth
and reporting in a truthful way
- Serving the public
- Exercising fair
- Acting with
- WE WILL:
ourselves to reporting the news accurately, thoroughly and in context.
honest in the way we gather, report and present news.
persistent in the pursuit of the whole story.
factual information in opinion columns and editorials to the same standards of
accuracy as news stories.
to gain sufficient understanding of the communities, individuals and stories we
cover to provide an informed account of activities.
Serving the public interest - we
- Be vigilant watchdogs of government
and institutions that affect the public.
- Provide the news and information
that people need to function as effective citizens.
- Seek solutions as well as expose
problems and wrongdoing.
- Reflect and encourage understanding
of the diverse segments of our community.
- Provide editorial and community
- Seek to promote understanding of
Exercising fair play - we will:
- Treat people with dignity, respect
- Correct errors promptly.
- Strive to include all sides
relevant to a story and not take sides in news coverage.
- Explain to readers our journalistic
- Give particular attention to
fairness in relations with people unaccustomed to dealing with the press.
- Use unnamed sources as the sole
basis for published information only as a last resort and under specific
procedures that best serve the public's right to know.
- Be accessible to readers.
Maintaining independence - we will:
- Remain free of outside interests,
investments or business relationships that may compromise the credibility of
our news report.
- Maintain an impartial, arm's length
relationship with anyone seeking to influence the news.
- Avoid potential conflicts of
interest and eliminate inappropriate influence on content.
- Be free of improper obligations to
news sources, newsmakers and advertisers.
- Differentiate advertising from news
– eg by use of the term ADVERTORIAL.
Acting with integrity - we will:
- Act honourably and ethically in
dealing with news sources, the public and our colleagues.
- Obey the law.
- Observe common standards of
- Take responsibility for our
decisions and consider the possible consequences of our actions.
- Always try to do the right thing.