Christopher James Calloo Jr. was remanded in custody on Wednesday after being brought to Summary Court on a charge of rape.
Crown Counsel Kenneth Ferguson said the charge related to an incident that occurred in the early hours of Saturday, 20 October. He set reasons why the crown objected to bail.
Calloo, 19, is accused of going to the victim’s home around 3am. She had made arrangements for a girl friend to come over, so when there was a knock on the door she opened it,expecting the friend.
Instead, she saw a man wearing a mask that covered his face from the nose down. She did not recognise him. She thought he was joking, but he grabbed her by the neck, pulled her outside and threw her on the ground. He removed her shorts and had intercourse without her consent. She screamed for help and he told her to shut up or he would kill her. He then sat on her chest and demanded oral sex, which she refused.
Mr. Ferguson said that as the man spoke to her, she recognised his voice and called him by name. He said he was not Chris and he had been paid to rape her.
She asked him to take her into the house, which he did, but then raped her again, after which he picked up his clothes and left.
The woman contacted police and they attended her premises. She had marks on her neck, throat and face.
Mr. Ferguson said while the officers were there they observed a vehicle in circumstances that aroused their suspicion. When the vehicle sped away they pursued it with siren and flashing lights. The vehicle did not stop until the driver lost control and went into a bushy area.
The driver -- Calloo -- was wearing a T-shirt but his bottom half was naked. When cautioned, he told police “A guy put a gun to my head -- that’s why I don’t have on any pants.”
Defence Attorney John Furniss told Chief Magistrate Nova Hall that Calloo had no previous trouble with the court. He pointed out that, when cautioned, Calloo had raised the issue of duress right away.
The situation in Grand Court was that trials were scheduled for July and even August, Mr. Furniss said, so he suggested strict bail conditions or even 24-hour house arrest. The defendant’s family would stand as sureties, he reported.
The magistrate said she considered various aspects of the matter, including strength of the Crown’s case, risk of flight and possible interference with the witness.
For these reasons she denied bail and sent the matter to Grand Court, where it is to be mentioned again on Friday, 2 November.