The trial of Arthur Screaton on charges of theft may yet go ahead, but no decision has been made, Justice Michael Mettyear heard on Monday.
Screaton, 53, was to have appeared on 7 September in Grand Court in Grand Cayman and indicate whether he chose trial by jury or trial by judge alone. He did not appear and a warrant has been issued for his arrest.
Crown Counsel Michael Snape asked for an adjournment of seven days to see if Screaton would appear in time for his trial, which had been set months ago to start on Monday, 17 September.
The date was subsequently vacated. On Monday, Mr. Snape asked that the matter be adjourned until 12 October. He said the Crown had not yet determined whether the trial would go ahead in Screaton’s absence.
The defendant pleaded not guilty in March to two charges of theft and two charges of false accounting. He is accused of stealing $4,132 and $6,723 from Rackam’s Bar and C-Blu Lounge between 1 October, 2010, and 31 December, 2010. The alleged false accounting was said to have taken place during the same period.
A Canadian national, Screaton applied for permission to travel to Colorado in the United States to spend time with his family. When the Crown did not object, Justice Charles Quin varied his bail to allow travel on condition that Screaton supply the court with his itinerary and post a surety of $10,000.